Measuring the Value of Anonymous Online Participation
An NSF-sponsored collaboration between researchers at New York University, University of Washington, and Drexel University to understand social and technical aspects of anonymous and pseudonymous online participation. (CNS #
- Rachel Greenstadt (PI), email@example.com
- Andrea Forte (co-PI), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mako Hill (co-PI)
- Bao Chau Tran Phi (PhD Student), New York University
- Kaylea Champion (PhD Student), University of Washington
Past Team Members
- Nora McDonald (PhD student, graduated), Drexel University
- Stephanie Bankes (Undergrad Research Co-op and Research Assistant), Drexel University
- Joseph Zhang (Undergrad Research Co-op 2018/19), Drexel University
- (Draft preprint) Chau Tran, Kaylea Champion, Andrea Forte, Benjamin Mako Hill, Rachel Greenstadt. (2020) Are anonymity-seekers just like everybody else? An analysis of contributions to Wikipedia from Tor. IEEE Security & Privacy.
** Replication Data Set **
- (PDF) McDonald, Nora, and Andrea Forte. (2020) The Politics of Privacy Theories: Moving from Norms to Vulnerabilities. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2020). Honolulu, Hawaii.
** Honorable Mention **
- (PDF) Champion, Kaylea, Nora McDonald, Stephanie Bankes, Joseph Zhang, Rachel Greenstadt, Andrea Forte, and Benjamin Mako Hill. (2019) A Forensic Qualitative Analysis of Contributions to Wikipedia from Anonymity-Seeking Users. Proceedings of the ACM: Human-Computer Interaction (PACM: HCI). CSCW.
- (PDF) McDonald, Nora, Benjamin Mako Hill, Rachel Greenstadt, and Andrea Forte. (2019). Privacy, Anonymity, and Perceived Risk in Open Collaboration: A Study of Service Providers. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI '19). Glasgow, UK.
- (PDF) McDonald, Nora, Sarita Schoenebeck, and Andrea Forte. (2019) Reliability and Inter-rater Reliability in Qualitative Research: Norms and Guidelines for CSCW and HCI Practice. Proceedings of the ACM: Human-Computer Interaction (PACM: HCI). CSCW.
** Honorable Mention **
- (coming soon) McDonald, Nora and Andrea Forte. (in press) Privacy and Vulnerable Populations. Book Chapter in Modern Perspectives on Privacy. Springer.
- PILOT WORK: (PDF) Andrea Forte, Nazanin Andalibi, Rachel Greenstadt. (2017) Privacy, Anonymity, and Perceived Risk in Open Collaboration: A Study of Tor Users and Wikipedians. Proceedings of Computer-Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW) Portland, OR, USA.
- Andrea Forte. Research Approaches and Trajectories. Invited Short Talk. Workshop on CSCW Research in Latin America.
- Rachel Greenstadt. Understanding the Value of Anonymity. Short Talk. USENIX Workshop on Free and Open Communications on the Internet (FOCI).
- Nora McDonald. Research Presentation. Despite the ban: doing good work anonymously on Wikipedia. Wikimania 2019, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Andrea Forte. Editing Encyclopedias and Other Dangerous Jobs (Pilot Work). Wikimedia Research Showcase, December 2016
Studies and Materials
- provider interview study consent form (recruitment has ended)
- young adult privacy study consent information (recruitment has ended)
- Wikipedia editor study flyer and consent form
- Library privacy study